Thursday, November 25, 2021

Sweet clown ~Gozen San-ji no Okashi na Doukeshi~ - review

 Genre: Otome/simulation VN.
Developer/publisher: Takuyo.
Platform: PSV, Switch.
Official Site: http://www.takuyo.co.jp/products/sweetclown/
VNDB: https://vndb.org/v16460
Release date: 2021-07-22.
 
What lead me to Sweet Clown? I started to look for something to kill time with
but not exactly in any hurry to finish it as a whole so this kinda became like a backburner game.
The japanese subtitle of this game is long (Gozen Sanji...) so I won't type it out
anywhere else in ENG it means: 3AM candy clown.
Considering the themes of this game this was for the better, its not as depressing as say Getsuei no Kusari nor is there too much despair like Virche but it isn't exactly light-hearted either.
Perhaps I wanted something not from otomate and since I feel like i'm a clown lately...
so I ended up picking up sweet clown after I had initially passed on the vita version
honestly how or why is Takuyo still around?! I wonder what there secret is...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
 
Pro's
- Interesting story and cast of characters.
- Well-rounded routes.
- Art is pretty good but can vary.
- Music fits the mood/tone of the game.
 
Con's
- The routes do have a bit of a slow start... it takes a bit to get going.
- Sometimes it can seem that whatever choice you made doesn't matter also there are a lot.
- Le espresso depresso... wait this could be a pro.
 
A little bit on the plot... but it might be better to read the VNDB
description if you want to know what's it about!
Our protagonist Zakuro received an invitation for a 3am tea party, which leads her
to a castle owned by the sweet clown. There... she meets a bunch of other people
and the story slowly unfolds from there. It quickly becomes obvious Zakuro carries a secret.
She lost her brother when she was young and is extremely lonely and has some issues with guilt
over it... after meeting this sweet clown she ends up being selected to take over the role
unfortunately due to her issues things go far from smoothly.

The OP was pretty nice but apparently they changed it for the switch version.
I looked up the PSV version and uh i'm not sure why they changed
but it was most likely a licensing issue or they lost the file/was damaged
anyway this is the switch one.
 Oh well back on track, this game is probably not for people with fear of clowns and stuff
this is also a fairly mystery-oriented otome game more and play order is important.
What's recommended is Seisuke > Kuze or Takeru > Ouchirou > Manai.
There are also a bunch of endings 4 per route which are all toned differently
some more depressing than others, i'll be using the same order the guide recommended
and this order is very good because it makes the most sense with the overall plot.
 
I honestly found myself hooked right from the start and interested to find out more
and come back to it so I thought the flow of the story was pretty good
but it was kinda glum and so this is not something to look into if you want something light-hearted
its also not too dark! but if you want there's a more twisted end waiting for you.
The art and backgrounds were pretty nice and the music was appropiate so there's that
though I might have to say that while the art is gorgeous and there are nice cg's it did vary a little.
The system was pretty basic? there's a gazillion of choices so it might be better to use a guide...
what bothered me about the choice system is often there isn't even much of a difference
characters would often react the same as if the other choice was chosen which made me go
like thank god for the blue/red rose animation for affection which determines the endings.
Also you could literally make one wrong choice and be locked out of the best end... which
happened with me in Kobashi's route.... this combined with the mass amount of choices
makes me really want to tell people to use a guide unless you want to figure it all out yourself.

I did wonder why I passed on this game initially and it was probably because of some of the designs
and setting, even now some of those don't really vibe with me but still glad I did give it a try
because the story and characterization was honestly really good and in terms of despair
it might not be as extreme as Virche but when it hits, it hits.
 The prologue was a good setup albeit a bit long? it was ok cuz you slowly got
a better picture while also getting to know the guys if only a little.
I like it more than Shinigami to Shoujo cuz of the overall flow but this is by no means a simple
game like himehibi since  there are some layers of complexity in regards of the plot and char's
 so now you know why I won't be writing too much about the plot but i'll comment
a little on the character routes cuz I think this game is best experienced when you know very little like
psychedelica for example, the route which was most complicated was probably Takeru.
 
Most of the common route focuses on the heroine Zakuro and her internal struggles+the guys
trying to help her so they can go home each in their own way.
This isn't one of those otome games that has the heroine only help the guys its the other way around which honestly lead to an interesting experience. I do have to point out the routes
do start out fairly slow and once more that play order is VERY important, I did Seisuke first and
godbless I did because this guy completely became unlikeable in Souma's route! (atleast for me)
so for a moment I thought if I had done Souma first, I didn't want to bother with Seisuke anymore.😞
 
Overall this was a pretty good otome game with a well written story and heroine/cast
it might seem dark and dreary but it is definitely one that I can recommend.
The routes here are well-rounded in terms of plot and romance while developing both
the heroine and love interest. If anything some of the guys are just clowns really
but even then with 2 different endings per route+bad there's bound to be one outcome
that could suit your taste whether that's a happy outcome or a twisted version of it.
Weird thing was by the time I finished Souma's route I didn't even want to do the others... πŸ˜…
since the ending of it was so satisfying I felt no need to continue cuz he was also my best boi
but alas for the sake of the truth I continued on! if there was anything that I thought was a downside
is that routes take a bit to get going and it might seem same-ish how Zakuro had to overcome
her problems but every route added a new flavor its just that it might get a tad repetitive?
but as long as you're invested I don't think its a big deal! do have to be honest that if
you found your best boy the rest of the game could feel like a slog.
 
So all in all, Sweet clown is a pretty solid pick if you want something with a good story and cast!
but if you're not in the mood for a long and dreary read then it might be better to pass, there's
not much fluff either and its very character driven, the humor was a bit weird but it was there
if it wasn't I think this game would be plain depressing.
That's all I can say without spoilers really...
Sweet Clown is interesting but requires patience and perhaps an acquired taste?
I think I want to play something lighter next but this was still a good time killer
its definitely something to look into if you value character development..
8.2/10

That ends the spoiler-free section! there will be some route commentary below as this game
much like getsuei was far too long to digest and someone already summarized it anyway
so there'll only be commentary with a few of my fav CG's.


Mitsuhara Seisuke.
CV: Toyonaga Toshiyuki.
 He's kinda flirty and easy-going... doesn't necessarily seem like a bad guy or anything
but as it went on I just found him a creep/weirdo and a massive turn off. oops!
Seisuke noticed Zakuro was struggling to cope and wanted to be there for her
he literally can't stand it not being able to see her so mopey and wants to go out with her
or to take on her burden of becoming the sweet clown.
Man... this guy's priorities be like something else?! he really seems to have fallen for her
regardless. Good thing Kuze was on to his shit, he felt like the only reasonable one around.πŸ˜…
Kuze and Seisuke got into an argument about the whole situation but Zakuro told them
to stop and then she finally smiled a little as well which was too heartwarming to see.
Eventually Zakuro accepted... and they became a thing, Seisuke was so sickly sweet
well atleast I cannot complain about the romance but... it was kinda cute to watch, take Milan
from Ange Luminarise but actually give it more substance still it did feel childish/experimental
maybe because Zakuro had never been in a relationship before so Seisuke went the extra mile
in trying to be some perfect boyfriend which reminds me of something but nvm that.
Actually this is bad... VERY BAD as I despise these type of guys.
This routes tone changes really fast, you could probably guess a lot of his behavior
was too good to be true and it was then he forces a kiss on her too he basically has his own
selfish reasons for trying to woo her but he's doing it all wrong really. He only really wants
the attention and can't stand it if its not him, he has some pretty deep psychological issues
and wants everything to be perfect with him in the middle. It all stems from him having
a twin brother and basically living in his shadow he couldn't help but became what he was.
Then when the cat's out of the back he really talks her down too for simply believing.😞
If anything Zakuro saved what little was left of the route... and get through to his sorry ass.
Needless to say my enjoyment of this route was minimal... at best.
  Even as I was approaching the best ending, this guy was still the absolute worst
my disappointment was immeasurable and my day was ruined. Well atleast I enjoyed
the plot so it wasn't terrible but i'm glad there is atleast a happy end for these two
the best part would be they both kinda helped each other which was nice to see
so it wasn't that bad imo, uh yea maybe Seisuke's personality and problems.😨
Ugh and Souma was such a good supportive character making me want to do his route!!!!
I do want to say that Seisuke's seiyuu did a terrific job here with Seisuke's duality and all.
Ya know even if a character has terrible issues and yet the writing/general plot
can make me like him in the best end this was pretty good afterall.
There can be hope for even the worst guys... this was not a pity route there
was actually a good outcome. There are more endings... but those might depend on taste.
This route felt strangely self-contained as well... oh well for what its worth it was decent
or maybe I am just trying to be nice? not that my opinion of that lasted very long.
Zakuro's expression sums up how I feel about this guy the majority of the time and it doesn't get better.
~
 
Kuze Souma.
CV: Uchida Yuuma.
 Souma noticed Zakuro wasn't doing so hot and was very worried over her
well being and even would become her brother and protect her. The common part of the route
was shared with Seisuke so it flew by! Its kinda obvious from the previous section
but I liked Souma more by default and was actually cheering him on.😒
While Seisuke might have felt suffocating and/or being smothered with affection all the while
he had an ulterior motive that was not the feel I got from Souma in fact I could sense
that he was genuinely looking out for Zakuro. Apparently it is because he had a sibling
and he couldn't help but act before it was too late. Part of this may seem as if 
he is atoning for his past but he's willing to give his all to ensure Zakuro's happiness.
At any rate Souma may have seem more like a brother in the end, the clingy and 
affectionate type which is probably what could make this off-putting but atleast
Souma was cute and didn't give me bad vibes and after Seisuke's clownery
this was actually quite wholesome! and Souma was endearing!
I like how he did make it obvious he couldn't stand Seisuke at all cuz we still had to deal with him
he even made a move and Souma got mad which was deserved but also upset at Zakuro
for not telling him personally why she was upset and tried to talk to Sei about it.
Uh dude chill, he seems a bit posessive for simply trying to be her brother.
The route probably wasn't that engaging as Seisuke's though or atleast it felt that way
maybe cuz Souma wasn't as 'sus' and there was no reason to be on guard or watch him like a hawk
but there was still something to him it basically boils down to both of them not recognizing
how the other really felt which was kinda cute actually as they liked each other
but i'll probably not look the same at pudding ever again.πŸ˜… Souma was a tool used
to make sure Zakuro becomes the sweet clown but he himself didn't know.
In the best end he helps her trying to get out of the castle and wants her to be happy~~
Souma ends up going out on his own then  Seisuke tried to make a move on her AGAIN
even though he realized she liked Kuze which made me fume cuz its not your route GRRRR!
Souma came back to see what the fuzz what about  which just makes our two lovebirds
realize how much they love each other uhm unintentional wingman??? Hmm idk
this route was cute and all but... there wasn't much going on really till at the end and
they just had to be honest with their feelings. I like Souma's character more than Seisuke
but I think Seisuke had a better route? or maybe I just didn't like how slowburn this was
and not much else going on but romance which isn't a bad thing, its a nice alternative
if you just don't like Seisuke since they're related in more ways than one
but LMAO at that bitch fight at the end... Sei deserved that slap though.πŸ˜‚
I gotta admit I lowkey tuned out during it... all that bitching between those two made me go... ok.
So its a matter of preference who you like more, I don't have much more to say about it
other than the fact that after finishing this route I had little motivation to continue on
cuz Souma is my best boi and don't wanted to pick anyone else even to continue the plot.πŸ˜…
Which made progressing through the next route the ultimate slog...
Jelly bean prince!
~

Hinose Takeru.
CV: Kakihira Tetsuya.
 He's voiced by kakki but honestly I wasn't that invested in him especially after the last route
but the show must go on? and so I made slow progress into Takeru's route! While he seems
interesting... this guy is absolutely not my type he basically coerces Zakuro to work with him
while pointing a knife at her, uhm you ok my dude??? this was obviously not my thing.
Basically I did not like this and was like oh Souma where art thou?😭😭😭
Anyway this guy did not leave me with a good impression... can I trust him is a question
I asked myself numerous times early on but Takeru kinda seems to be messing around.
If I had to sum him up i'd say he's a freak, he enjoys torture and revels in malice........😨
uhm no thank you. Kakki may have done a terrific job but this character isn't for me.
Anyway they end up helping each other out, but I was actually kinda bored
70% of the time maybe it was the common part of the route which kinda dragged it on, I wanted
to be more invested but this route had some weird themes that I couldn't wrap my head around.
Takeru wasn't a bad character and I could like him if only a little... but yea this is either a hit or a miss.
Maybe its my fault cuz I can only think of Souma and i'm just whining that Takeru's not him.πŸ˜…
 The way Zakuro confessed to Takeru was cute though... but i'm still like girl why?!
this route was so complicated i'm not even sure if I fully got it or understood Takeru's situation
though I think emo-chuuni sums him up pretty well, i'll probably never look the same way
at Neighe again as he can be quite creepy? the revelations at the end saved it but hmm
idk this route felt longer than usual? or maybe that's cuz I just didn't really like it.
The best end was good but its funny that the good ending was way more interesting???
I think I prefer the best one still, glad to be done with it! this route took me like 5 days....
oh well it wasn't bad just not my cup of tea.
Why are all my fav cg's showing Takeru's discomfort....?πŸ˜…
 
~

Kobashi Ouchirou.
CV: Takahashi Hiroki.
If it isn't the king of the castle? anyway prior to his route
I had no real opinion of him but he seems kind of intimidating. I'll admit he's hot
and since he's the poster boy on the title screen I may have had expectations? not many though
but he is pretty much the main guy of the game that much was obvious.
Anyway this route started off much more interesting than the other two... so there's that!
 I loved that one event where she found him sleeping in the library and Raz&Cran
came looking for uh stragglers so they hid away together! he covered her mouth
but Zakuro was so smug about it but I think Kobashi was even worse, the CG was hilarious
needless to say unlike the previous route this was off to a great start with a tone I actually liked
and their chemistry was really good as well to the point I was Kobashi might be one of my fav.
 Kobashi is actually kind of sweet and understanding... that's what I like about him the most!πŸ˜„
he can be a bit grumpy but you can't always be in a good mood all the time.
Neighe was kind of creepy again in this route though... as if he wasn't creepy enough at Takeru's.πŸ˜“
Overall I liked the route and it was plenty interesting but a bit on the long side?
or maybe i'm just tired, I did like Kobashi... but the route pretty much brought together plot
points which leads to the final route of the game along with a massive hint on Manai.
I prefer the best end... Kobashi is SO husbando material.
At this point though... I couldn't help but feel drained and while plot was still interesting
it also felt a little lacklustre in general or maybe that was just me.

~

Manai Tomoki.
CV: Kobayashi Yuusuke.
 
From the start I always wondered; doesn't he kind of look like Zakuro?
or you sure they aren't related? and well my suspicions were correct.
Manai's pretty nice buuuuut there's more to him. Anyway at this point
I was more than wanting to end this game too. Nothing to do with the fact
I already found my husbando(s) but you know its been long enough!
cuz NGL this can get a bit depressing... good thing Manai was just so sweet my heart melted.
Some scenes were surprisingly cute, I liked Souma dragging off Seisuke in the beginning
and Souma giving Manai a little push to assert his manhood.πŸ˜‚
Overall I liked the route, the pacing was good with a few funny moment
and the chemistry between them was nice while also wrapping up any remaining plot threads.
It even seemed like it was going to be one of those onii-chan routes... achoo!
this was also probably the best route in the game not because it was a truth route
the story did have me hooked more than the others but it also wasn't really
a true onii-chan route which in turn can actually be disappointing.
Maybe this is just Takuyo trying to avoid going down that path of ya know incest?
well you'd have to see for yourself its too good of a plot to casually write about
maybe saying this is already too much but its better to not have too high hopes if you thought
this was one of those routes, even if it kinda was... takuyo played their cards well.πŸ˜…
 The best end was good, but also kinda sad though it is perhaps the best outcome they could have.
There is one other ending but... hmm if you're into that it could be nice...? haha
I think Takuyo just did it because they could but still I prefer the best end.
Oh well! very good route but kinda disappointing ending romance wise.
Takuyo doesn't really do FD but its been over 5 years and I don't see much ways
to make more of this and I prefer their way of not milking their games that much
at most they'll just port it to the next generation console.
  ~
 
Fav route:
Manai > Souma > Kobashi > Takeru > Seisuke.
 
Fav character: 
Kobashi > Souma > Manai > Takeru > Seisuke.
There's not much point to this cuz its in line with how much I enjoyed the routes
but the best one in terms of plot was Manai, I could say Takeru was interesting to say the least
I just couldn't be invested and it felt so self-contained??? Seisuke was just no bueno.
Souma is pretty much my best boy followed by Kobashi and Manai.

Final thoughts
 
Man this game took me like what? a whole month to finish? but at last I am done.
 I really like the setting,chara's, general plot and what it tried to do but after a few route
the general flow can feel kind of repetitive. The saving grace being
all routes had a unique take on it and figuring out more of the overall plot/setting.
Overall it definitely delivered and had well-rounded routes but sometimes I was kinda bored
by how mundane the early parts of the route were sure it was setting stuff up
but still not much happened. I do think this game handled the themes of depression
very well, the heroine was fleshed out as well as the love interests!
In terms of the love interests... my fav was Souma, I don't like Seisuke outside of his own route
and Souma's route ruined what little I did like of him. Takeru was a miss he was just too weird for me
maybe it was because his character was rather complex as well but his route probably
was interesting enough in its own right. Don't have much to say about Kobashi but if you're
into intimidating guys who're surprisingly sweet maybe??? he was pretty much the main guy
of the game and from the start of his route/events I liked the chemistry he had with Zakuro
so at the end of the day Kobashi and Souma were definitely my favorite!
Though in terms of plot best route was probably was Manai...
even if the romance/end of it could be better, it was as good as it gets.
All that aside this was probably Takuyo's last good game and I definitely recommend it
but its not really a simple otome game due to layers of complexity regarding the characters/plot
but if you could handle Shinigami to Shoujo or Getsuei no Kusari this is no different
however I can't recommend it to beginners just learning/getting a grip of japanese.
And well... a fear of clowns/masked people might also hold people back from getting this...
its pretty clear that this game is not for everyone! and if I had to be brutally honest
after I did Souma's route the rest of the game felt like a slog to get through.
Many times I had to take breaks hench why this took me a month to get through, for Virche
I could kinda shove it down my throat cuz I was motivated because of best ends being locked
and all  but not Sweet Clown maybe playing this right after was not a good idea
but still it was pretty good and it didn't make me feel appalled all the time either.
Now I get a little sad cuz this is a takuyo game, and a pretty good one but none of their games
ever get picked up either maybe because takuyo is against it or no one has convinced them or even 
wants to localize their games. At the end of the day Sweet Clown is pretty good so if you're
looking for a good plot and good characterization it definitely gets my recommendation.
8.2/10
What's next? uh well I'll get to Blue reflection second light eventually and that hamefura game
has been delayed to february so I think i'll take a break for now and recharge while staring at a catboi.

No comments:

Post a Comment