Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Final Fantasy VII remake intermission - review

 Genre: RPG.
Developer/publisher: Square Enix.
Platform: PS4/5/PC.
Official Site: N/A
Release date: 10-6-2021.
 
I ended up buying the twin pack deluxe edition with FF7 remake 2 on ps5 by accident because
there are too many versions. While I played the original remake on ps4 I never played intergrade
aka the PS5 version that has this intermission. So while waiting for remake part 2/rebirth
I ended up playing the Yuffie DLC! this review is pretty short because well this DLC
was short so there's not much to talk/write about but I still wanted to anyway.

Pro's
- Fun side content.
- Decent enough plot that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Con's
- Short, feels like there's a missing gap between chapter 1 and 2.
- DLC was about Sonon+DoC references and not about Yuffie.
- Can skip this DLC and miss absolutely nothing.

 
 More rambles after the jump. I suppose there be spoilers cuz I rambled about Sonon.

Gameplay wise it was about the same but since it has been four years
I was extremely rusty at first and forgot you could even dodge don't even ask me
why I was able to defeat the two wolves at the factory with just Yuffie... it was hell.
It did get a lot better when Sonon joined up with Yuffie, I really liked the synch mechanic which
made everything really simple, perhaps too simple as syched art of war... is too OP for most bosses.
You can upgrade weapons a little but idk if it really helped or if it was just for show?
I guess it may be more necessary on hard mode but I couldn't max everything out during my play.
 
 There are some nice side things to do like finding the flyers or the RTS minigame
with familiar side characters from the original game, I actually was like omg its HIM.
NO.
There was a score attack as well where you have to destroy a bunch of boxes for points
which almost made me hate the game but then I realized I wasn't patient enough
and I need to stay calm and everything worked as intended once I watched a video.
 

NGL this guy had more story to him than Yuffie and I wish we saw more with him.
 
I did think the DLC was a bit too short and perhaps needed a little bit more in between
chapters 1 and 2 but at the same time it also didn't overstay its welcome which is nice.
I liked Sonon as a character more than Yuffie, its not like I disliked her or anything! in OG FF7
I hardly used her after recruiting her. I remember doing the wutai arc but don't remember much of it
other than beating up a bunch of goons in a pagoda. Ok.jpg momento.
 
Normally I would ship this but uhm I actually was too busy crushing hard on Sonon. Whoops! 
Shipping them doesn't work because of a few things and time is one of them plus the sad fact
that Sonon is a throwaway character but with actually background to him.  Also this guy
literally saw his own  sister in Yuffie who actually had to spell it out to him.
Had the writers actually developed this further and not thrown Sonon into the bin
sure I could ship these two but alas the show must go on and Sonon has no more role(s) to play
the only thing they share is the history of wutai being oppressed by Shinra
which leads them on the mission against them.

The extra scenes at the end with cloud and the gang were a nice extra
but I realize I don't really understand this remake verse.
I liked OG FF7 and the movie and crisis core on psp was good... however
they seem to be using things from Dirge of Cerberus as well and really go out of the
way to flesh out the lore of the series. I don't really know Nero or Weiss so I was like huh who that?
I did remember seeing some FMV of Vincent, Lucrecia and Shelke on YT back in the day
but other than that that part of the FF7 universe is unknown to me and unless Dirge of Cerberus
gets a port/remaster like crisis core or they explain things about Nero/Weiss in rebirth
it will be unlikely I will understand much of whatever those two rambled on about. 
 
Final Thoughts?
I do think this little DLC was worth it, it wasn't too long and I had a mostly good time!
Compared to tales of arise DLC which was also like a side story it just had more value and
there's no real annoyances like having to relearn all your skills or recycling every boss.
I did crush on Sonon pretty hard and feel bad for him but I also understand that because
this DLC is a side story they also couldn't do much with him and he really does see Yuffie
like his sister so everything made perfect sense. Except Nero and Weiss cuz who that?!
really hope rebirth perhaps goes more into DoC lore or they port that game... cuz I am interested.
All in all it was a nice little adventure that didn't overstay its welcome and it was
a good way to get used to how FF7 remake plays cuz damn I was rusty.
My only gripe is that it sort of rushed itself inbetween chapters 1 and 2 which makes
me think there were like 3 chapters planned but they scrapped somethin and it is what it is now.
I didn't write a lot or had a lot of screenshots but... it is an accurate reflection of the DLC
at the very least I enjoyed it more than a certain other DLC episode I recently played.
8/10
I actually recommend this DLC if you like Yuffie in general and/or
want to get the hang of the gameplay again.

What's next? FF7 rebirth of course as well as Matsurika no Kei on the side
but idk which one I will prioritize, it will depend which one ends up being more enjoyable.

I also saw Kannagi no Mori got a switch port and it being the only matatabi game I haven't
played so I am considering it because nothing else besides MnK interests me atm.

No comments:

Post a Comment