Monday, April 22, 2024

Utakata no Uchronia - Review

Genre: VN.
Developer/publisher: Broccoli/Licobits.
Platform: Switch.
Official Site: https://licobits-game.com/uchronia/ 
VNDB: https://vndb.org/v40519
Release date: 11-04-2024. 
 
I still decided to get this game but the price... why is this game so expensive?
I even bought it digital but 8000 yen? damn that is the price of a limited edition
from the PS Vita era. Idk if this is just broccoli or the economy tanking
but I can see why people just don't want to blind purchase these games nowadays.
 
I'll say it right off the bat, this game was definitely not another Piofiore yet
it could be its successor in spirit. Also while this is not an otomate game
you can definitely tell this was by former staff of theirs.
 
Pro's 
- Interesting story in the grand scheme of things...
- Most love interests were likable except one.
- Gorgeous art and fitting bgm.
 
Con's
- Needs a high level of japanese to fully understand the story.
- Length, focuses too much on the big picture that it cuts itself short.
- Overall plot/flow of the game gets a bit repetitive with every route.
- Yori, i'm not even going to say anything else here.

 
I really liked the OP movie back in the demo and they finally uploaded it on YT
seems like they waited till the actual release date instead of alongside the demo's release.
I hardly ever skipped the OP, it generally was nice to see everytime you boot up the game.


Like I said in my demo impression post, UtaChro is very scenario focused, I just
did not expect it to be on such a grandscale and the fact it was legit surprised me.
UtaChro is very focused on the world they live in and the relationships of the people
in Hinagiku's life etc. Utachro is rich in worldbuilding and interpersonal relationships
but due to all that makes for a pretty long game, no joke. Due to that the romance takes a
while to develop as well but I generally had no complaints because of the pace of it.
For some routes the resolution could seem rushed or good enough... oh well.
What I also like is the whole main cast is part of the plot and don't just
disappear off the map once you lock onto a route which is great.

System is same as piofiore, lots of choices; 2 main endings a best and bad end.
There's no affection/correct choice indicator so easy to hit a game over end.
It may be best to use a guide if you don't want any surprises. There's the switch the PoV
like in Piofiore but since this is from the same writer/director so its to be expected.
 
In terms of story I was hooked to some extent and wanted to see where it was going
but it was also a bit long-winded and the conversations were not always able to grab me.
In Utachro my attention often waned. I do not know if it was because of the level of
japanese or the dialogue just being... dry. Of course at times jokes were cracked
but comedy is not really the focus in this game and it was far and between.
The level of japanese UtaChro uses often betrayed me, because at times it is simple
but it also won't hesitate to throw some complicated kanji at you.
Haven't played Y7 yet but that's me whenever I encountered Kanji that tripped me up.

 UtaChro is also incredibly slowburn, I am glad I did Awayuki as my first route since it fit
really well and I liked their chemistry somewhat but it wasn't a route to bring out
the full potential of the story which was sad. Good starter but not much else.
I did Yori second because he was the resident trashbag and wanted him out of my hair
after the crap he pulled during Awayuki's route and at the end of the day
Yori just wasn't my cup of tea but it may be someone elses? Tobari on the other hand
was probably one of my favorite characters, the romance with him was just right as well!
It reminded me of non-toxic normal relationships, which after Yori was a breath of fresh air.
Idk what to say about Tsuyukusa without spoilers other than that I am kinda tired of the
friend-type routes but he was one of the more relevant routes in the game, he did take a while
to grow on me and like Tobari I couldn't really see it till like chapter 4/5. Got not much to say about
Yashiro tbh but throughout most routes he was sorta just there, I remember him saying
I'm just an amnesiac guy somewhere which sounds about right till you get
to his own route and he just fucks everything up literally.😨
 
Hinagiku as a heroine was pretty great, good natured and a bit pampered like a princess
but also fearless and not easily afraid of situations she is getting herself into
yet at times she is still a girl you know? don't expect too much of her and I think she was
at her best in Tobari's route! I did prefer her over Naaya from Matsurika.
 
I also made a low effort meme for fun.
Yashiro could be a bit more to the left but for the most part this fits.
 
Overall UtaChro is overly lengthy and complicated, I only really enjoyed&remember the
interactions with the love interest & other fun interactions but there wasn't much of that.
The conflict going on in the town..... sure I was intriguid by what was really going on
but I just was kinda bored with how it was presented. Maybe it really is the dialogue
since it just didn't grab me most of the time. Or I just wasn't interested in the big picture
which just makes it a me problem. Your opinion could differ from this so I will still encourage
this game to anyone that likes scenario driven visual novels of decent length & don't mind politics
but idk the routes are kind of a hit or a miss. The only guy I really liked was Tobari
so I don't know what that says either, probably not much(other than that I might like stupid guys).
 
I know Uta-Chro is scenario driven but it really surprised me that there was
enough romance along the way and this was for me the saving grace.
If I had to be harsh this was a 5/10 due its repetitiveness but it gave me Tobari so... its a 7/10.
Uta-chro was just a really weird game, I came here for the scenario but left with romance.....

I still hope Aksys or someone else still picks up Uta-Chro... I mean its not Piofiore
but it has some of its elements as well as Nicola&Yang's love child Yori
which I am sure people will either love or hate. Even if that person is not me. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are route restrictions and Yashiro, Tsuyukusa and Yori are off limits at the start.
Yori is unlocked by doing Awayuki, Tsuyukusa unlocks after doing Tobari and finally
Yashiro needs like everyone so no choice but to do him last.
My play order ended up being:
Awayuki > Yori > Tobari > Tsuyukusa > Yashiro >Finale.
I'll just recommend the same except maybe switch Awayuki/Tobari based on preference, this order
may be good to be able to go from those who're available at the start to a more important route.
Whether or not you do Yori right after Awayuki just depends whether you'd like to or not.
This game is even more restrictive than Matsurika and its not even funny.

Route babbles after the jump however the only routes I really wrote about
were Tsuyukusa and Yashiro, but only note-worthy things. This game is too long
someone else can do it if they'd like to but it ain't gonna be me. I'm drowning.


Awayuki.
CV:Saito Souma.
Awayuki is loyal to a fault and Hinagiku is his no,1 priority he'll do literally anything for her
but he is also very strict and maybe a bit too protective of her. Honestly I really liked
Awayuki's devotion towards Hinagiku, romance was a slowburn but you can easily tell
he felt more than just being an aide/bodyguard, this man wouldn't hurt a hair on Hinagiku's head.
Awayuki was just too sweet and literally treats Hinagiku like a princess, she got a little wet
in the rain? he is there to help and a bath will be prepared asap. Awayuki also said something
along the lines of if he's not together with Hinagiku then its no good. He even said she is his.
At this part I was like huh isn't this guy a bit possessive? hmmm... I generally felt safe, loved
and cared for however I can't help but think Awayuki is also a bit suffocating.
Awayuki is perfect if you want to be coddled by someone... I did like all the moments
between Awayuki and Hinagiku but i'm not sure what to think of the plot at all
nor did I feel like giving it much thought. Basically Hinagiku ended up being engaged to...
Yori of all people, she isn't able to make a decision right away so there's a lot of drama
and angsting trying to decide what's right. Awayuki is against it of course so she takes
his concerns to heart. Yori himself is... idk I couldn't read much of him in this route
he can come off as a bit of a joker but also shady as heck. Tobari, Tsuyukusa and Yashiro
helped Hinagiku form a second opinion and it is obviously she didn't want to go along with the engagement after thinking about how Awayuki feels about her. There was a bunch of drama too
and Awayuki ended up being the prime suspect so they all try and figure out who dun it.
There's also this thing where Awayuki has baggage from his previous employment
but all of that ceased to matter since he became Hinagiku's aide. He struggles internally
with the fact that only Hinagiku matters and nothing else. Anyway moving on
Yori figures out Hinagiku fell in love with her own aide so he trolled her a bit
saying he'll try his best to make her his since he can't have this.
I only know one thing and Awayuki deserves this headpat.
 I liked it when others made fun of them for literally being a couple but Awayuki is like no
its not like that I am her aide. Of course he did like her that way, he is just too busy
trying to be the perfect aide to tend to the princess's every need. It was actually really
obvious feelings were mutual in this route, the only problem is Yori among other things.
I did like the best end... but damn does this game remind me of the original piofiore
of how there was always some love interest being a dick when it wasn't their route.
Some dialogue the other guys had near the end was also hilarious because
the self-realization Yashiro is just some guy with a few hole in his memory
and he's perfectly fine with that. Or Yori being content being locked up because hey
atleast he has a roof over his head and basic needs. Nvm the fact Hinagiku almost
forgot they confessed. I mean WHAT. I get a lot happened but damn, girl.
Overall it was OK at best, my problem isn't with the story it is with the length of it
and I realize I prefer routes that last around 7-8 hours and not 12 hours.
Half of this route bored me to tears, the romance was like they were both into eachother
but it took way too long for it to get real or a heart to heart to happen so it was almost
unbearable to watch. The story wasn't very interesting either like it was just there to move it along
It just took its sweet time with everything... maybe that is good but yea I couldn't
always keep my attention to it. Atleast the epilogue scene was well worth it but IDK
after finishing the route everytime I look at Awayuki I see Donte Falzone, its like
he's his long lost twin except he's a little softer in general? meh I prefer him as a support.
Route rating: 6/10
~
 
Yori.
CV: Eguchi Takuya.
Just me and my cute waifu nothing to see here, there's absolutely nothing wrong! haha.
 I didn't really like him from Awayuki's route because he is all like mister steal your girl 
& not your route. I did him right after Awayuki because he unlocked
and I just wanted this guy outta my hair. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa~~
Egutaku's performance was pretty peak and it really added to the experienceTM.
Some of the things Yori says at times pisses me off so much, he messes around too much.
I feel so bad for Hinagiku cuz.. she doesn't seem to realize she's being played hardcore.
Also I wasn't even two hours into his route and you know you just can't trust a word he says
ESPECIALLY after what happened in the Awayuki's route. THANKS I HATE IT.
Needless to say I didn't enjoy the route that much nor his character, at the very least
I wasn't bored because I had to watch him like a hawk because can't trust him!
You never quite know if you can trust him but Yori said the pinky swear thing was the real deal
so maybe? or perhaps its better not to believe a word he says afterall. That scene was cute
unfortunately most of the time such vibes did not last and I generally just felt uncomfortable.
Yea that was cute huh...
Atleast this route felt more exciting than last and its great if you want to live dangerously.
I swear its like they combined both Nicola and Yang... or Yori is their love child
needless to say I think there's an audience for Yori but it wasn't me.
You know what, I actually wanted to run straight back to Awayuki midway through this route...
Yori is just that off-putting. I'm screaming at Hinagiku for even being remotely interested
like RUN GIRL, RUN FOR THE HILLS AND DON'T LOOK BACK!
I'm horrified at the moment he tried to give her a hickey as punishment or when he pushed her
on the bed, I hated that scene because he coerced her into keeping quiet because it is their
little secret. You know what that sounds like? ah well i'm not even gonna bother!
You know what's worse? at times it was like well he ain't so bad only for it to U-turn...
like during the last chapter I was wondering why Yori even is a love interest
because at this point I was eyeing Tsuwabuki more than Yori. Like anyone else please.
I liked how in the best end, Hinagiku told Yori she hated him, quite a lot
and realizing there was always something off about his smile.
Yori is so deranged he still thinks those feelings are like love...
Sadly Yori got a get out of jail free card but now he has to marry for real
and for some reason he is ecstatic about it and continues to bully her. >_>
W.T.F!
Yori says he can't help it if she doesn't believe him so he will try to make her
have faith in him just a little. All's well that ends well huh?  I gues that
the best part about the ending is that Yori will have to make a concious effort
to be a better man which I suppose is punishment enough. /shrug.
The bad end lived up to expectations but it could be worse? it kinda made me disgusted
because Yori literally blackmails Hinagiku and uses Awayuki as leverage however
since she is his wife he won't even allow Awayuki to lay a finger on her
and he also doesn't want her to be sad so he won't kill him. Ugh.
I'm sure this will be someones cup of tea but it ain't mine.
 HOLY SHIT what a disaster of a character and route... like holy hell this was bad
on multiple levels it genuinely made me uncomfortable. I think it takes a lot
to make me feel this way but Yori just has me noping the fuck out.
Like you think Yang's bad right? well Yori be like hold my beer on another level.
I'm glad I did this route when I did and not right before Yashiro or something.😨😨😨
Also yea its just a videogame! atleast I tried to reason with the best end but man... idk. 
Best part of the route was obviously Hinagiku telling Yori she hated him
but then came the epilogue and I am just omg when will it end, get out. 
Route rating 4/10 
Me peacing out after this route, because it was just no.
~
 
Tobari.
CV: Okamoto Nobuhiko.
OMG Okamoto-san why are you everywhere?! i'm having PTSD from Matsurika.😩😩😩
Tobari is like the head honcho in the hanamachi district UwU. Its not really the type 
of place for a fair lady like Hinagiku but she stuck her nose where it didn't belong
and now she's helping him out with his terrorist activities.
I found Hinagiku to be more proactive in Tobari's route and he's all like
bitch why do you care so much? you're a hundred years too early.😂
Tobari realizing he's about to make a long term commitment.
 Tobari also has this typical tough guy act but can be surprisingly sweet or caring, that was what
pretty much sealed his character for me and after Yori I actually wanted to romance him.
Unfortunately while there were a few nice scenes here and there, the romance was lacking
and didn't start to like it till chapter 4. I liked getting to know Tobari but the route was such a slog....
the funniest scene was Hinagiku being clumsy and then Tobari saving her when she fell
only to be called an idiot while also being thanked for saving her. Tobari was left
absolutely dumbfounded and wondered wtf he was even doing.😂😂😂
A real man... oughta be a little stupid!
 I liked how courageous Hinagiku was in this route when she charged into the flames
to save Suzune... only to get scolded by yours truly. I liked their confession too
but idk man what can I say but that the plot in this route gave me nothing but trust issues?
I didn't like the bad end much... because it was just shit gone wrong like you should expect
of such an end, so the best end was pretty much were it was at.  I didn't write down 
a lot of things about this route but just gonna say Tobari did nothing wrong, he's about
as innocent as a baby compared to Yori. He's my little terrorist sweetheart, muh baby boi.💕
 I really do think this route may have had best plot+romance balance though
as it wasn't insta-like so I enjoyed watching them grow closer slowly but man
everyone really had it out for Tobari at some point, its not funny.
I wonder why I like Tobari so much... his character is fun and he is cool. Maybe it is
because of Okamoto and the fact his route filled a void Fey couldn't fill.
Or maybe he just reminds me of Crow from the trails series... guess I just like stupid guys.
Route rating 7/10
~
 
Tsuyukusa.
CV: Matsuoka Yoshitsugu.
Aww yiss time for the childhood friend route! seems like he harbors some
feelings for Hinagiku who doesn't seem to think that much of him, yet.
Tsuyukusa is also a hikikomori so the field trip to the hanamachi with him
was almost too much of an outing. Atleast the route was off to a good start.😂
The early chapters were a little boring and it didn't really pick up till
Hiiragi came crawling from under a rock wearing a disguise. By now it is
really obvious who Hiiragi is, aka a really important guy in the government.
I did wonder if he was related to Tsuyukusa because they look quite similar
like they couldn't be brothers or long lost twins could they? and yep
Hiiragi and Tsuyukusa are twin brothers. This was really obvious too...
anyway Hinagiku wants to help with the revolution and Awayuki wonders
if she has any idea what kind of precarious mess she is getting herself into.
I swear this girl is all like mcdonald's mcdonald's and he has to deal with it her every whim.
 Hiiragi found out about their plan quite casually and he like tries to cheer on his brother
and want nothing but for him to be happy in the end. Even hoping it works out.
Then one day they hear the news that the Taijyu has died... which confuses them...
Hinagiku tried to comfort them cuz there's also a chance Tsuyukusa has to continue the line
and will have to, he thought it'll be simple but there's more to it than just sitting there.
Tsuyukusa ends up being the one confessing first during the lantern rite but Hinagiku
needed a little more time before she could give him a reply.
Tobari ends up being a damnsel in distress in this route and has to be rescued like he's a princess
so they have to come up with a plan.  Awayuki complains as per usual for getting dragged in
because without him there's no chance. Yori trolls but what else is new?
they're trying their best to come up with a plan but I may have dozed off around here.
Tobari got called an idiot /again/ by Tsuyukusa for wondering why they came to save him..😂
They managed to escape but needless to say our princess wasn't pleased. Woa hey there tough guy!
Moving on: Hinagiku may have met the two twins as a kid, which lead to one thing after another
as it wasn't allowed, Tsuyukusa tried to keep it hidden but its beginning to become apparent.
Hinagiku tries to talk to him about it and he is a bit apprehensive so he will do it under
the condition that she won't hate him for it. Basically only one of the twins could
become a taijyu so there was competition for it or something and in the end
Tsuyukusa was used as the spare or body double. There's also the fact
the Taijyu is supposed to have powers and is referred amongst the people
yet the Taijyu are just people as well, they're not gods at all.
Hiiragi was frail like his dad before him so the position didn't really suit him
so Tsuyukusa believed himself to be a better fit. When Hinagiku's parents were targeted, he
was only able to save her and she was the only kid he ever befriended and held dear.
Because he kept spiriting her away near the tree, he blamed himself for when Hinagiku's
parents were killed. Because he wasn't allowed to interact like normal people.
 Hinagiku doesn't blame him but Tsuyukusa keeps blaming himself for her parents deaths
it goes so far that he wished he wasn't even born so it wouldn't happen.
Hinagiku can only hold his hand gently and tell him that because of his actions she is alive now
but for some reason she can't say everything she wasnted to say. Tsuyukusa wants to leave it
at this because he does feel a whole lot better just by talking a little about it. Even though there's more.
They get attacked but a timely appearance of Narukami tells em both to make a break for it.
After resting Tsuyukusa stops her from leaving and wonders if she isn't trying to avoid him
which lead to a dumb kabedon scene, I couldn't help be like wait what, lmao.
Tsuyukusa asked Hinagiku if she trusts him as they make their way to the innerworkings
of the city, there they meet Narukami who has become like a robot. Ready to dispose
any who intrude upon this place. Tsuyukusa wants to protect everyone in itehara and wants
to know who the hell ordered him as well as let them pass but Narukami won't budge.
They knocked out Narukami by accident and they managed to fix the innerworkings.
In the end Tsuyukusa is resolved to try his best for itehara because its
the place Hinagiku loves. This man be willing to bet his life for her sake.
Tsuyukusa knows shiranui is misguided but he wants to make the town a better place
not as a spare or Hiiragi's sake but because he wants to do it. After this speach Hinagiku
wanted to tell him something, something she had to think about for a bit and she really does
hold him dear. They both go visit the spot they played at when they were kids and they get
nostalgic which eventually leads to Hinagiku grabbing him by the collar and kissing him and finally saying she likes him, woo! to which he feels the same but we already knew that.😄
 Elsewhere the local police busts into the government building along with taijyu who seems robotic...
Yori gets put on a leash by Tsuwabuki cuz he killed one of the runaways to which he apologizes.
The ending credits ended up rolling after some surprise revelations that Hiiragi wasn't dead
and he'll go take care of everything BUT he needs her help since changing the nobles
opinion on things ain't easy, he can't do it alone. Hinagiku doesn't mind at all
and if she doesn't then Tsuyukusa is like well whatever i'll help too if you want.
The bad end: they find out early that Hiiragi is alive which leads to a turn of events
in which he dies for real as well as the shiranui gang going a bit overboard.
Some time passes and Tsuyukusa pops the question whether she loves the town or not
and if she's fine with things being the way they are and if she'd still wants to go to the
outside world but she loves the town too much. Tsuyukusa says he will try his best
to make things work for her sake. Sadly Tsuyukusa ends up convincing himself
that the day Hiiragi died for real, he died as well and now only lives as the taijyu.
Hinagiku's live continues but something is missing... things just aren't quite the same.
The only thing Tsuyukusa wishes for is her happiness.
The resolution of the route made me go  really? this is what you end it on? make a big deal
and brush it aside all the same. So while I generally liked this route's overall plot
it just kinda rushed itself off a cliff in a good way and cut itself short.
I really liked the romance though, Tsuyukusa confessed first but Hinagiku had to take a raincheck
and a lot of things happened, honestly he was always there for her all this time
so I can see why Hinagiku still fell for him along the way. There's nothing more to say really.
route rating 8/10
~
 
Yashiro.
CV: Kobayashi Chiaki.
Everything be so FINE and then she be trippin.
 Yashiro has amnesia so not even he knows who he is but Hinagiku wants to help him
and he be like at your service me queen err princess.  Hinagiku is the only one he came to know
when he was lost and confused with no memories she literally became the center of his world.
Which is strangely understandable if you have nothing to go on. Not like you have much choice
but this route really is best done last because it wastes no time in introducing things that would
definitely be a spoiler like Hiiragi stuff right off the bat. I quite liked the pacing in this route.
I was vibing and then Yashiro just leans in and popped the question  of Hinagiku giving herself
to him if he showed interest and I am like WOOSH. My dude it is chapter 2!
 Then Yashiro was like nvm its just a joke, don't mind me just now.
I also liked it when Awayuki went on a rant about Yashiro just being too close... hilarious really.
Yashiro did give me the chills early on and that made me want to continue his route even more
at first everything was so chill and they're just going about their day. The around chapter 5 shit
gets real and someone shows up claiming the Taijyu is deceiving everyone... that person is Yashiro.
Hinagiku meets up with him on the roof and they get attacked... by Chidori.
Yashiro covered her and the others come just in time but man... wtf just happened.
Hinagiku wants to know more about Yashiro but he's fighting for his life from the previous wound.
The whole town doesn't know what to believe anymore either and its all just a mess.
You think Tobari is a terrorist? Yashiro is like hold my beer! Yori came to check
in because he has a feeling they're hiding someone, couldn't be anymore true
but I slept through half of the conversation, don't ask me about it.
Yashiro woke up after 9000 years and wondered why the F she saved him...
well that's because she likes him! yes even after he went and became batman.
Yashiro's originally not from itehara and from ginwan aka the slums.
He worked with Chidori for this knowing he could be betrayed and he was...
the people of ginwan basically want whatever the people of itehara have and the government
basically keeps anything related to it a secret, hench calling out Taijyu for lying.
Yashiro thought about working with Tobari but decided it was too dangerous.....
blabla Itehara has no future, they should abandon it and itehara isn't the utopia they think it is.
Also Yashiro straight up says the Yashiro she came to like was a fake, HELLO CROW.
 He continues that no one would even bat an eye or be bothered to save the real him.
Because he is just born to hate and isn't human but like a demon or a beast. 
He didn't really fit in so he was forced to believe he was a monster.
In truth there's nothing human-like to him and doesn't even perceive some things the same way.
Hinagiku knows that's not true especially how Yashiro shielded her from Chidori.
Yashiro doesn't believe that, Hinagoku really tried to get through his thick skull
that he isn't a complete monster that doesn't care if someone dies.
At the end he did say he won't consider her an enemy if she believes everything.
Hinagiku gets dragged into being sacrificed for the greater good but Yashiro doesn't
let this happen so he faces off against Karatachi. Hiiragi ends up butting in and
everything manages to resolve itself because Hiiragi has been made to realize they were
wrong with the way they've been running things. Karatachi gets put in place also
like don't go and act on your own you little shit. *credit roll* In the epilogue: Sakaki told them
kindly to not cause any more ***king problems. Later in Hinagiku's favorite spot they
make out after a hilarious convo, Yashiro doesn't even care if he becomes an enemy again.
 The bad end focused on the monsters and how to deal with that.... and it wasn't as pretty.
There was a change in ze plan and Yashiro went off on his own, leaving Awayuki
to deal with Karatachi. Yashiro busts in during the fight but something's different...
Karatachi fell from a traitorous blow but Yashiro was dealt a grievous wound.
Yashiro's glad he still managed to kill him to protect Hinagiku... and that she
didn't become his enemy since she's the first person who gave a damn about him.
Narukami said something that his wish was heard so... it wasn't all for nothing, right?
What can I say that I just have a soft spot for terrorists? me being reminded of crow with tobari
when actual this fucking yashiro guy literally is him, complete with everything ya knew was fake
but hahah not really as despite everything they're just BFF and something more in this case.
Sadly I hate the way they resolve things in this game cuz it makes it seem like
there's just a buncha drama for nothing but all's well that ends well amirite.
Route rating 8/10
~
 
Finale.
I must've slept through this scene cuz I don't remember when it happened, not that it was important.
 There was a finale route but honestly I lost interest during it...
Basically the utopia they all live in is like an ark and you can't leave easily, not like
they need to cuz they're all told they will be happy in there. Hinagiku was told that story
when she was spirited away by the twins and I am like why couldn't they just implement this
in Tsuyukusa's route to begin with????? anyway it seems Narukami played a bigger role
in this and I almost think he's the secret love interest but it wasn't quite like that.
We're also getting scenes that shows Yashiro's true intentions that were
conveniently ommited from his own route...... other than that it is revealed
Narukami is in fact not human but we already knew something was off about him
from Tsuyukusa's route, the way they revealed it here was quite funny.
Hinagiku wonders if Narukami has feelings but he says since he is an automata
he doesn't and if he does it must be a bug or something. He is like a lost relic from
the founding days, his creator was a mad scientist. Narukami simply wants what's best
and he isn't an enemy or something. They all go and bust into Hiiragi's place... and they try
to figure out how they can move forward, the whole thing was extremely long.
Also Narukami is basically a male version of Cardia.................... there was too much politics in
the last part, imagine 10 people sitting around a table and just discussing shit endlessly, I SLEEP.
It kept going and going, no action all talk. I don't mind talk but due to how long it went on I got bored.
Just as I was tired of all the talking Awayuki and Tsuyukusa tried to cheer Hinagiku up
from all the shocking revelations cuz it was a lot to take in. I was like oh that's sweet.
LMAO, same.
 The problem of the monsters in ginwaku remains so Yori and Tobari got to be badass...
Saku ended up being a little bitch but in the end they saved Narukami
and he got to hear the last message that says to protect Itehara.
Yashiro went back to his home and frequently sends Hinagiku letters...
If I made it all sound short I am sorry but it really wasn't
like I got 0 energy to write about it in further detail.
Route rating 5/10
~
 
Fav route:
Yashiro / Tsuyukusa > Yori > Tobari > Awayuki.
Okay HEAR ME OUT so while I disliked Yori as a character in general his route
was pretty engaging and I actually wanted to see if it would work romance wise
so despite my gripes it was still one of the better routes in the game next to Tsuyukusa
which was one of the few besides Yashiro that actually felt relevant in terms of story.
I didn't list the finale among this because  it was just really dry, sure it filled in some holes
and maybe the overall resolution was better than most romance routes but idk by how much. :/
 
Fav character: 
Tobari > Yashiro >  Awayuki > Hinagiku > Tsuyukusa > Tsuwabuki > Yori.
I didn't like Yori and I am not gonna say anything else about him, just taking out the trash first.
I liked Awayuki but... he also felt a bit suffocating so I think he is better as a support.
Tobari was the only love interest I genuinely came to like, at first I was eh but the pacing
of everything was so good and the more I saw the more I was smitten for this man.💕
Yashiro was also great, didn't think i'd like the poster boy this much.
 
Final Thoughts!
 
Oh man... I think half of this otome game didn't do much for me due to how complicated
the plot was in the grand scheme of things. It just kept going on and on and the story
only got really good in Tsuyukusa&Yashiro's route, mostly everyone else was pretty meh.
This is also pretty much trust issues the otome game cuz damn... now I have
Piofiore flashbacks of how in the first game everyone could be a dick.
There were also moments I was like, the point please? and then there's the endings
which kinda makes it seem like Uta-Chro is still a work in progress?
None of the routes really felt that unique because it was all part of the same plot so
by Yashiro's route I was just tired of it all.  All things considered atleast the romance
along the way was very well paced. I also can't complain there were never any nice
or funny scenes because there were plenty. Anyway this game was so weird like
the setting or characters were honestly really interesting but it can also slowdown
to a crawl or just keep going on and make 0 progress with slice of life, I can't.
I struggled in the early routes at times, it didn't really pick up till chapter 4 or 5.
I had no choice but to watch Yori like a hawk due to his personality and tbh he may have had
one of the more interesting routes in the whole game. I will say Yori was my least favorite.
My absolute favorite? that would be Tobari, his route wasn't perfect but it was still decent.
The setting is nothing new like a seemingly perfect world that ain't so perfect
but they're trying to make it better and some people are against the way things are now.
I can't help but also think they took Piofiore and just made a more tame version cuz no character
comes close to Yang except Yori. who did make me uncomfortable. Who am I kidding
near the end of the route I even questioned why Yori had one.😨😨😨
Meanwhile Tsuwabuki is trying to exist, its sad he had no route, i'd pick him in a heartbeat.
I don't have any complaints about the heroine, she really tried her best and generally was proactive.
 
At the end of the day while the conclusions to the routes were decent the story just feels
unfinished in general and for an 8000yen game I think that's unacceptable
unless they're confident in wrapping everything up in a sequel or something.
If you're on the fence (even after the demo) but still interested then wait for a sale.
This reminds me of London Detective Mysteria that boldly hinted at a sequel that never came...
and to be left hanging like that is not a good feeling, even worse when it does come out
I may have moved on by then, i'm really hoping for licobits/tis that sales were great
so a sequel comes out but if it doesn't at most this game will just be wasted potential.

TL;DR
UtaChro is a slowburn in all aspects from overall plot to romance you gotta be patient
and watch it all unfold. The mystery wasn't that good but it was there
I did like trying to get to see what was really going so that's a plus.
You may need to stand politics as well cuz there's a fair amount especially in the finale.
I think overall this game may be slightly better than say, Gunka o haita neko. 
Also lmao for being a game that focuses on its scenario it sure had well-paced romance like
for most routes I don't even remember most of the plot, just the cute/funny scenes.
Atleast I can't complain about the romance this time... just the way it ends is eh.
Side note; the audio quality in the short stories was awful and the performance of the seiyuus
generally was better during the game itself, so i'm gonna assume those were rushed in.
7/10
Also please do not expect this game to be a Piofiore because it isn't.
I will only recommend UtaChro to people that like being invested in slowburn romance
and you are very proficient in japanese, I kid you not you'll need it for this game.
 
What's next? idk I have no plans, i'll probably will continue working on something
from my backlog and just peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment