Sunday, June 2, 2024

Ys Memoire The Oath in Felghana - Review

Title screen not much so have one of these images you unlock for clearing the game?
Genre: RPG.
Developer/publisher: Falcom
Platform: PS4/5,witch.
Official Site: https://www.falcom.co.jp/ysf/.
Release date: 22-5-2024.
 
With not much games of interest coming out and to take a break from otome games
I decided to get this game instead. Ys Felghana is also another ys games I never played
so now only VI and Seven remain unplayed.
V does not count and/or doesn't exist, remake it falcom... it deserves better. 
 
Pro's
- Fun boss fights (some annoying ones). 
- Exploring is rewarding, plenty of goodies to find in each area.
- Great OST.
 
Con's
- Ending feels a bit rushed.
- Short, its replayable but lacks an optional boss or reason to grind to lvl 60.
 
More rambles after the jump there's not really any plot spoilers in this post
but I did write somethings that bothered me, its all pretty minor.
 

Story is relatively simple and to the point, it doesn't drag on but honestly this seemed like its more
Dogi's game than Adol... because its about Dogi's childhood friends and trouble in his homeland.
Unfortunately I don't think Dogi did that much in this game, I remember him giving
you the earth ring in a hilarious way I was like what if it fell down there you idiot!
and he tried talking some sense into chester as well as his usual quirk but that was about it.
Or maybe he did do things... offscreen, yea okay thanks my dude, you be such a bro.
E
That's my Dogi!
Adol had to clean up mostly everything else its not even funny... but I bet he liked the adventures so eh.
Chester is a smug bastard  and I definitely wanted to kick his ass, which happened sooner
rather than later also he isn't that bad as I had thought. Some random side quest where you
had to *sigh* save a kid made him show his nice side even if he still told Adol to gtfo.
UwU
 Elena is the heroine of the story and sister of Chester... their relationship is difficult
also the entire time I wondered about that pendant like it couldn't be a key or something?
or does she have a bigger role in it all, the OP movie definitely was not suggestive.(it was)
I didn't really have any problems with the story itself except when you come back to the town
after climbing the big mountain you  save some villagers, afterwards you're supposed 
to head to the castle and apparently Elena was taken too??? but there was no scene
showing this so I was all confused when I found her pendant, maybe I glossed
over dialogue but it was so weird it bothered me.
 
Wtf was with this game and bodyguard quest tho???
The switch and ps4/5 version come with additional sprite work as well as sharper graphics
so it doesn't look like a pixelated mess, I appreciate it and it definitely looked better
than zero & ao no kiseki on the ps4 which were a mess compared to their pc port.
 
Gameplay... is simple, magic is used via rings and you gotta find them as well
as upgrade them via gemstones, exploration can be rewarding and it is worth
to go back to older dungeons to get that chest that was previously mysteriously unreachable. 
Unfortunately I missed some chests somewhere and while I found two chest in the mountain
caves after beating the game I almost gave up on finding whatever else I missed, because it sure
wasn't armor or ring upgrades cuz I got all that and turns out it was in the abandoned mine.
You know that broken bridge? well you can wind glide below it to some hidden cavern. OMG
this was so off the beated path like wtf... that 50 raval may have been worth it 7 hours ago but now....
Cursed place for a chest TBH.

Music was pretty much SSS tier and likely one of falcom's best OST.

I will say is that this game has some piss poor boss design, I emphasize on SOME not all.
Like that it wants you to play a specific way or just suffer which more often than not
it just boiled down to haha spam magic. Second boss was so dumb I was like
why did I even try this without going back to town first and buying better gear as well
as find the first fire ring upgrade because ayy lmao that boss suddenly went down in 5 seconds
 while I previously jumped and shot manically for 5 minutes only to die when it was almost dead.
Yea that is peak game design amirite? not. That was not the greatest of first impressions.
Moving on...
Gyalva can suck my toes too because wtf was that? it made the fire worm thing seem fun as well
as the other two human bosses. Yea this game is such a ride you should just experience it for
yourself because the crystal thing boss was also such a trip like god forbid his tiny weakpoint is
faced toward  the wall and you die trying to reach it........ definitely didn't happen to me.
I  did like the dragon boss and thought it was one of the best in the game
like even when I died during the later phase surprise I just laughed it off.
Final boss was also quite memorable, I mean what?! ping pong really...?
that fight was mostly pure chaos and only the last bit lives rent free in my head.

Also thank god this game let's you restart from the last loading screen in dungeons
because lmao imagine dying to a bunch of crabs or birds which are annoying to deal with.
 
Final Thoughts!
What a legend is all I am gonna say here...
Anyway was Ys Memoire Oath in Felghana worth it? it honestly depends on how much
you like old games and platformers in general, I don't think it was that bad! if you already
played it before to death on PC/psp there's not much new here.
It also does show its age but it was by no means a bad game or anything!
While I was playing this game I realized that I am not the type to dislike having to try again
to beat a boss, sure some were annoying but I liked the thrill of it to finally kick its arse.
I played on normal but this game was pretty well balanced, sure its unforgiven at times
but the amount of damage you can do evens out with the bosses. I tried the final boss
at lvl 50 with best armors etc but I was unable to beat him... then I leveled up one more level
and what would you guess? I beat it! I noticed I was taking considerable less dmg
so either I got better or the stat boost was just enough to get through.
The max level was 60 but idk if I have it in me to grind that out... there's
nothing challenging at the end game or any optional stuff except the final boss
which like I already said becomes quite easy at lvl 51 on normal.
It took me about 12 hours to beat the game, its not a long game by any means... I also think
it just cuts itself short? but there's also not much more they could tell idk it feels weird.
Story was decent enough and I liked that this game didn't overstay its welcome
but the ending... idk why it just felt rushed, its not really my favorite, its on the same
level as celceta for me. Kind of like whatever my dudes! on to the next adventure.
I do feel the need to add that I really loved the climax of this game atop the clock tower
like the reveals were chef's kiss, it was so good at setting up the final act.
Unfortunately the reveal of who the masked guy is wasn't really that good
like at most I went oh wait it was them??? okay I guess, lmao.
Forever Alone.

TBH I wouldn't recommend this game to those that already played it a lot on PC or PSP
unless they really like it or something. If you haven't played it and like old school RPG's
and like ys in general then yes I will still recommend it!
6.5/10
I had fun playing through this ys but storywise... its decent on its own but not the best
its just another one of Adol's adventures and a pretty short one at that.
   Its a good example of how rpg's don't need to be 50 hours! but it may need
a little bit more exposition as there's some loose ends.
Are you really ending it like that? uhm ok. Like its not bad but... yea.
Honestly beating the game felt more satisfying than the ending... idk what that says.

What's next? not much I saw Mistonia no Kibou got delayed so i'll just pick out
something from my backlog and work through that.

No comments:

Post a Comment