Monday, November 27, 2023

Witch on the Holy Night - Review

Title sceen not much so uh have the box art of the limited run???
 Genre: VN.
Developer/publisher: Type/moon.
Platform: PS4/5/Switch.
Official Site: N/A
VNDB: https://vndb.org/v777
Release date: 08-12-2022.
 
Since BK1 was a bit of a mixed bag I decided to get Mahoyoru as my next game
since I didn't really feel like playing anything else and just want to relax and read!
I wanted to try something different again from the usual otome stuff I sit through.
and Mahoyoru was one of the few options available. I won't post much screenshots
and they're all from before chapter 5 since PS4/5 cuts off capture from that point
so its probably best not to share anything past that point.
 
Pro's
- Good overall plot and great cast of characters.
- Art is gorgeous and bgm fits the mood/tone of the scenes.
- Fun optional sidestories that give side characters their spotlight.

Con's
- Slice of Life scenes can seem like it drags on at times.
- UI can take a bit to get used to if you prefer text boxes.

This game is by the makers of fate/stay night and shares the same universe
but you don't need to read that first or anything and can dive in here just fine
as the story itself has nothing to do with fate and is self-contained.
There are 0 choices in the main story as well so you can just enjoy it without stress.
For some reason they made an optional gag scenario with choices but you can
always use a guide for it if you need it. 
 
TL;DR I thought it was a good VN, some of the characters could
be a bit insufferable but ya know they're teens? most of the time it was just Aoko anyway.
Sadly it seems this game does kind of cut itself short and that they wanted to do more
but haven't gotten around to it, that aside it still was pretty well-rounded & the end was nice.
Can pretty much recommend it to anyone if you like visual novels in general.

More rambles after the jump but its just a little more detail of my experience with the game.

Art style is pretty good, it has a nice way of switching between serious and funny moment
the scenography was really good and made it stand out from most other VN's.
There were some really gorgeous moments alongside the regular scenes
and its easy to tell they went for aesthetic approach in some backgrounds.
Music fit the mood and was generally just great. I ain't complaining here.
Wait do I ever complain about music? guess if it is just there but that not the case here.
 
The localization is alright, most of the time it reads well, there were some
human errors but most could be auto-corrected, it wasn't constant I think if they
had   done one more sweeps they would have found them but honestly
a errorn here or there is not the end of the world.

I will admit that at first I had a hard time with getting used to with how the text is displayed
as well as the visually style but it honestly grew on me by chapter 2.
Still not a fan of text displayed all over the screen with characters in the background
but they were pretty creative at times with the sprites & backgrounds itself so it gets a pass.


I liked getting to know the characters and the game took the time to actually
do just that unlike the last game I played where characters barely interacted.
Soujyuro is pretty dumb but his situation was understandable? He's pretty much a himbo bimbo
with his heart in the right place. Aozaki was weird but she grew on me. Also its not
that he doesn't have a spine, he does have one but then there's also Aoko..............
Alice I am mostly indifferent about as she took longer to understand. Also Aoko is your
typical tsundere, and Alice is the Kuudere... this is a cursed combination you'll have
to see it for yourself to understand this. Tobimaru... Housuke and Kumari were
also very good side characters as well they made it more lively.

The story was pretty slow at first but it laid out the foundations pretty nicely
and tended to switch perspectives a lot between Soujuro and Aozaki.
This game is set in the 80s and there was something in the beginning that made me go
oh man, really? but I think it really was normal for the time. Cat fans may not be pleased though!
I liked chapters 1 through 4 it set stuff up pretty well, 5 part 1 was alright however
in chapter 5 part 2 was a bit of a mixed bag to me. Okay hear me out! first off I didn't
hate it, like it started off good but the middle part was not so good that I was literally like
wtf are you guys doing while getting tired of an exposition dump. It picked up
eventually and the rest was cool before ending on a note that made me go wait what?
why the hell would you even think of doing that??? Needless to say I still wanted to see
what was gonna happen next so I pressed on cuz I couldn't wrap my head around it at the time.
The rest of the game was mostly fine, I think it was pretty slowburn
with leaving some hints here or there that even had their own side story
which you can either view right as it unlocks in the archive or after everything's done.

Final Thoughts
Mahoyoru is a solid VN and the visual style was definitely worth experiencing, even if
some fights were long I was still engaged due to the excellent visuals.
After finishing the game I understood even its name,  this game is very in season atm as well.
I mainly enjoyed the character interactions they were like AAA+ and there were plenty of sub stories
as well but a lot of them can come across as filler which is why they're labeled as extra.
I can also see that some of the main cast can come across as insufferable especially early on.
Sometimes it gets better but there was something in the beginning of chapter 9 that made me go
like wait seriously? does Aoko not have common sense? I felt so bad so Sizuki.
There wasn't really much romance and TBH I wasn't really able to ship Sizuki with anyone
except Aoko, still with the way they were writing it romance just wasn't in the cards YET.
I did enjoy the comedic factor which was just right and I laughed out loud a bunch of times.
I think I picked a good time to play this game cuz this game had all the things
the last game I played lacked which were mainly interaction and a good plot progression
while also kind of knowing how to keep the reader engaged. I was rarely bored
but there were exceptions like during ch5-2 and some small parts after it.
Fair warning the game can get a bit gruesome at times, I wasn't sure if it was just
doing it for the shock or just to make characters suffer cuz why not?
I was not amused but still, I enjoyed the story and interactions overall so I let it slide.
9/10

Anyway this VN had just the right length and if it was any longer it would have been a drag
thankfully most side stories are optional and can be enjoyed later. Honestly I was
kind of addicted by the end of it so I just wanted a little more...
Mahoyoru is not perfect but at ch7 I started to understand most if not all the characters
well enough so I think they did more right than wrong with this VN and can pretty much
recommend it to anyone who enjoys this genre whether galge or otome.
Its good enough I will put it right next to tears to tiara and utawarerumono.

What's next? uh I will probably work on my backlog and find some game
that I casually added to it from some sale. Probably something from sega... >_>;

No comments:

Post a Comment